Tuesday 6 July 2010

My 2nd day of the placement

hi everyone, I hope you are all safe and well.

Sunday
I decided to go to the family's church on Sunday, but since Linda and Matilda still had chores to do during the English service I went by myself. It was a little bit nerve-racking but very interesting. It is very much a Gospel church with loud music and very loud speakers. It was a communion service as well! I sat with Laurencia, the main woman singer. She's very nice and welcoming, and an amazing singer. There are two volunteers at the house. Katrina (from UK) and Ari (from California). Ari arrived back from travelling later on Sunday.

Monday
I was very excited to go to the placement. Ransford, who lives at my house is a Junior High (15-18 yr olds) teacher. We walk together to school, which is a 2 minute walk (very handy for lunch and breaks). Just quickly, I feel very awkward writing because all the keys are miss-matched on this keyboard!! On monday, I observed the nursery and Kinder Garden 1 & 2. They are either very very excited to see you or crying because of my whiteness. One thing that really disturbed me was that they still use a cane. Its something that really upsets me. After school i was so exhausted that i slept for a few hours. I woke up just in time to watch the family make Fufu, but strangely they did not make any for us. We had spaghetti (a version of) instead.

Tuesday
Today i taught Stage 1 (ranging between 6 and 9, but mostly 7 & 8) all by myself. In the morning we had Natural Science, where i taught them about personal hygiene, then there was English where they learnt about strangers and "stranger danger". After this, the rest of the day was filled with art and games.

I have to cut this short as the internet cafe is closing!
I'll take soon :)

peace & love

2 comments:

  1. Hi Patrea,
    OMG She's famous - Katrina from UK? That's the name of one of the voices on our Tom Tom!
    XX
    Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, you seem like your having an amazing time !
    im kind of ..jealous! haha, i hope you take care of yourself and keep this blog updated! :)
    xxx
    -Nisha.

    ReplyDelete