Monday 2 August 2010

Summer school

Last week was the last week of school before summer vacation (5 weeks long). I went to two meetings; a staff meeting and an Akropong Circuit Heads Association meeting (where the headmasters of schools in the area meet and discuss issues). I found it very hard to sit through these meetings. They were so drawn out and tedious! That week I also inspected the school's I.C.T. room, with all computers not functioning properly-we think due to theft! I have chosen to donate a portion of the funds raised to repairing the computers but also, improving the security of the room, so theft is not able to occur.

This weekend, a few volunteers and I went down to the beach west of Tadi. It was a LONG journey but worth it for the tranquility of the environment. The place we stayed was really nice, eco-friendly and very sustainable. Green Turtle Lodge. It was just strange because there were no Ghanaians lodging there, which makes sense since they're all working but just made me feel strange. On the tro ride back, I met an Israelian guy that spoke really good Twi. This made made me want to learn more. I was jealous that he was joking with the other passengers and I couldn't understand!

Today was the first of summer school. I'm teaching class 2 (from 6 to 8 year olds). They are really great but there is a vast diversity in ability in the class which is a challenge. And two students who speak no english. Today we did maths and drawing. The summer school goes from 8 to 12 noon, so i had a lot of free time! I pray everyone is well and happy

love.

No comments:

Post a Comment