Thursday 2 December 2010

COMPUTER PROJECT - Nana Aframea Preparatory School (or NAPSCO)

Hello everyone,


I hope you are doing well! I want to update everyone on how the money raised before I went to Ghana (AUD900) was spent.


Firstly, lets get to know Abiriw (the town where NAPSCO is located) a little bit better. Abiriw is in the Eastern region of Ghana, between Akropong and Adukrom. It's a small town/big village with a taxi/tro-tro station and post office. The main road is surfaced, as well some conjoining roads. From my experience, the residents of Abiriw are characterised by their friendliness and curiosity towards foreigners. In short, I can't think of another place I'd rather spend 4 months working in.



When I came to NAPSCO in the beginning of July, the computer lab was out of order. This was due to multiple reasons. Rats had chewed through the connecting cords, there was water damage on some of the keyboards, and suspicion of theft of some of the system components. For these reasons, the students had to take their Computer Studies as a theory subject. When it came to the end of year exams in late July, I found that (having envigilated) most, if not all the students in Junior High struggled with the I.C.T. exam papers. After some evaluation of the school's needs and aspirations, i decided to spend the raised money on rehabilitating the school computers. The costs included new hard drives, memories, getting a carpenter in to secure the room properly.
My host-mother, Comfort outside the I.C.T room.

No comments:

Post a Comment